page 145 Veganopolis Cookbook
How to photos here:
Here is a quick and easy recipe for Seitan that can be used as a main entree, in soups, sandwiches, pan browned and placed atop salads, breaded and fried for appetizers, ground in a processor and used on Pizza, on Pasta, in Pad Thai and the applications are endless.
1) Adjust the seasonings in this recipe to your particular use.
2) Best to add Dry and Fresh Herbs later when using in a recipe.
3) Freeze and store extra portions in bags with a little stock.
4) Seitan of any style or size can be reconstituted by adding a little vegan stock.
5) Store in a container with a little stock in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
6) Freezes well and for long periods of time.
7) + Tip: Spices by the TBSP are needed because the boiling weakens the spic power some.
Yields approx 2 LBS
2 C (473mL) vital wheat gluten
+ Purchase Vital Gluten online www.bulkfoods.com
2 teaspoons (10mL) of Salt
1 tablespoons (15 mL) Onion Powder
2 teaspoons (10mL) of Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon (5mL) White Pepper
5 1/2 cups (1.2L) vegetable broth , divided -set 1 1/4 C aside
1 tablespoon (15mL) of Olive, Safflower or Canola oil
+add oil to 1+1/4 C veg broth you set aside
Optional: 1 tablespoon of Liquid Smoke, Tamari or Dry Mesquite Spice
1. In a medium bowl, stir together the vital wheat gluten and dry spices
2. In a separate bowl, combine 1 +1/4 vegetable broth, oil and Liquid Smoke
3. With a stiff and slightly oiled spatula stir LIQUID ingredients into Dry until a stiff dough forms.
4. On a clean surface and with lightly oiled hands knead the gluten dough firmly about 20 times stretching slightly as you go. Gluten stands will form.
5. Allow to rest 15 minutes while heating to boil the remaining stock in a tall pot.
6. Knead gluten dough another 10-15 times.
7. With kitchen shears cut the gluten dough into 3 parts.
8. With a kitchen shears carefully take each part and cut through gluten to create
1/2 inch rounds over the boiling stock rounds to drop into the boil.
9. When all the gluten dough is cut and in the pot bring boil for one minute
Turn flame down to a bubbling simmer for one hour.
Keep pot lid off slightly to allow steam to escape while cooking Seitan.
10. Check a few times to rotate Seitan in pot with tongs.
11. In one hour remove Seitan with tongs, place storage container adding about 1 cup of stock for moisture.
Allow remaining stock to cool, freeze and use again.
Clean up tip:
Use a paper towel and little oil to remove scraps of Seitan from utensils.
Seitan is now ready to use. ENJOY! and pass it on.