This tasty recipe comes to us from James Rocco and his friends Bridget and Sheryl. I adore James' wonderful new CD It's Between Us and his Holiday CD - Cold Enough 4 U? Perfect to play at your seasonal party while you serve these delicious Sweet Potatoes!
Gingered Sweet Potatoes
By Bridget, Sheryl and James
4 to 6 sweet potatoes, washed
2 pears, peeled, cored and diced
3 tablespoons Smart Balance
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or to taste)
½ cup apple cider
Chopped pecans (optional)
Vegan mini-marshmallows (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Put the sweet potatoes in the oven and bake until soft, about 45 minutes.
2. Cool the potatoes until they are cold enough to handle and then cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scrape the potato pulp into a food processor.
3. Peel, core and dice pears and add to food processor.
4. Add Smart Balance and ground ginger.
5. Mix together in food processor (or can be mashed with potato masher.)
6. Add cider to food processor and blend into the potato mixture.
7. Put the potato mixture into a casserole dish.
8. Sprinkle the top with the optional chopped pecans and/or vegan mini-marshmallows, if desired.
9. Bake for 15 minutes or until marshmallows melt.