Thanksgiving is the perfect opportunity to add more healthy, delicious, compassionate and eco-chic choices into your festive party plans. You can easily incorporate nutritious and earth-friendly choices into your seasonal suppers, without sacrificing good taste. The simple substitutions listed below make holiday meals healthier for you, your family, the animals and the planet! For my full Thanksgiving menu plans, with recipes, click here!
EASY substitutions for a vegan, turkey-less THANKSGIVING MENU:
1) Mashed Potatoes: Substitute unsweetened, nondairy milk and vegan margarine spread for the milk and butter. To lower calories, try swapping out half of the the potatoes for steamed cauliflower! Delish! Click here for recipe
2) Stuffing: Simply use vegetable broth instead of an animal-based broth in your stuffing recipe. Use vegan margarine spread in place of butter. Click here for recipe
3) Squash: Stuff small acorn squash, butternut squash, or tiny pumpkins with your favorite vegan stuffing recipe and serve as a hearty entree. No need for turkey! Click here for Stuffed Squash recipe#1 Click here for Stuffed Squash recipe#2
4) Sweet Potatoes or Yams: Prepare your yam casserole with vegan margarine spread and organic maple syrup or vegan brown sugar in place of white sugar and butter. Click here for recipe
5) Casseroles: Featuring a hearty and delicious casserole for your main dish is enticing and satisfying. There are so many wonderful recipes on the internet and in cookbooks too! Click here for recipe
6) Whipped Topping: Make your dessert topping cholesterol-free and lower in calories with easy to prepare, tofu whip topping, instead of whipped dairy cream:
Bourbon Vanilla Whipped “Cream”
14 to 16 ounces extra-firm regular tofu, drained
3 tablespoons maple syrup, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon bourbon-flavored or plain vanilla extract
Put all of the ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. Taste and add more maple syrup if a sweeter flavor is desired. Refrigerate 2 to 4 hours or up to 24 hours and serve. CLICK HERE for full menu plan and a Vegan Pumpkin Pie recipe
An eco-chic tablescape is easy too!
1) Napkins: Cloth napkins instead of paper are the elegant, earth friendly choice.
2) Table Covering: A cloth table covering is the economic and earth-friendly choice to use in place of a disposable plastic or paper covering. If you do not have a tablecloth big enough for your holiday table, a clean, white bed sheet works beautifully.
3) Place cards: Take ten minutes of your time (or better yet, get the kid's busy) making place cards using last year's holiday cards. Simply use the front and/or back of holiday cards, using the areas that have not been written on. Cut into approx. 4x3-inch rectangles. Fold each card in half and write your guest’s name on one side using a bright colored pen. Set place cards near each setting for an individualized touch.
4) Party Favors: Fashion fun, tasty, pretty and eco-friendly party favors using un-bleached wax paper, recycled ribbon and vegan, dark chocolate! CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO: "HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE PARTY FAVORS"
Have a beautifully compassionate and healthy holiday!