Thanksgiving is the perfect opportunity to add more compassionate and eco-chic choices into your party plan. You can easily incorporate nutritious and earth-friendly choices into your holiday supper, without sacrificing taste. The simple substitutions listed here make your meal healthier for you and for the planet!
1) Mashed Potatoes: Substitute unsweetend soymilk and trans-fat free vegan margarine spread (such as organic Smart Balance) for the milk and butter. Swap out half of the the potatoes for steamed cauliflower! Delish!
2) Stuffing: Simply use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth in your stuffing recipe. Use vegan margarine spread in place of butter. Delicious!
3) Squash: Stuff small acorn squash or tiny pumpkins with your favorite vegetarian stuffing and serve as a hearty entree. No need for turkey!
4) Sweet Potatoes or Yams: Prepare your yam casserole with vegan margarine spread and organic maple syrup or organic brown sugar in place of white sugar and butter.
5) Whipped Topping: Make your dessert topping cholesterol-free and lower in calories with easy to prepare, tofu whip instead of heavy whipped dairy cream.
1) Napkins: Cloth napkins instead of paper are the elegant, earth friendly choice.
2) Table Covering: A Table Cloth is the eco-chic choice in place of a plastic or paper covering. If you do not have a cloth big enough for your holdiay table, a white bed sheet works beautifully.
3) Place cards: Get the kid's busy making place cards from last year's holdiay cards.
Have a beautifully compassionate healthy holiday!
From the Jazzy Vegetarian!